Sights > Castles > Český Krumlov
Zámek 59, 38101 Český Krumlov
GPS: 48° 48' 46" N 14° 18' 50" E
Tel.: +420 380 704 711
In the mid-13th century the lords of Krumlov, who belonged to the important noble family of Vítkovce, founded the castle Krumlov on a steep rocky bulge above the stream of the river Vltava. In 1302 the Rosenberg family took over the castle and made it their main residential place. During the era of Vilem of Rosenberg the huge Gothic castle was rebuilt under the guidance of Italian masters into a monumental Renaissance residence and at the same period it became important cultural, social and economic centre of the large Rosenberg dominion. Petr Vok of Rosenberg sold the residence to Rudolph II because of financial reasons. Rudolph II did not ever visit the place and in 1622 his cousin Emperor Ferdinand II presented it to his banker Jan Ulrich of Eggenberg. At the end of the 17th century during the era of Jan Christian of Eggenberg the chateau went through extent reconstruction in the Baroque style. The floor of the halls was equally levelled, huge Baroque staircases were constructed, the Baroque gardens were designed and the new Baroque theatre building and the mint were built. Further reconstruction in the style of High Baroque took place during the period of Josef Adam of Schwarzenberg.
In 1992 the whole historic complex was included in the UNESCO list of cultural and natural heritage.