Sights > Historic towns > Tetín
, 50771 Tetín
GPS: 50° 25' 16" N 15° 38' 24" E
Tetín historically belongs to the oldest villages in the Czech Republic. The place was settled as early as the Palaeolithic Period and the Hillfort Period. The beginnings of Tetín are connected with Teta, Krok’s daughter, in legends, but archaeological research dates back to the middle of the 10th century. At the beginning of the 10th century there was a princess’ wooden farmstead, which was the widow’s seat of the Princess St. Ludmila, who was murdered there in 921. In the 11th and 12th centuries there was the seat of Tetín District which administrated the entire Podbrdsko (the area at the foot of the Brdy Mountains). Tetín is mentioned on the foundation charter of Vyšehrad Chapter. In 1288 the royal master of the hounds had his seat there. Towards the end of the 13th century the castle was rebuilt to become a seat of Premyslide bastards. In 1321 the castle was held by Stephen of Tetín, who sold Tetín to the emperor Charles IV. He then connected the Tetín dominions to Karlštejn.