Sights > Castles > Mikulov
, 692 01 Mikulov
GPS: 48° 48' 25" N 16° 38' 11" E
Tel.: +420 519 510 855
The castle of the Lichtenstein family on the place of an original fortified settlement from the 11th century, since the 13th till the 16th century enlarged into a sizeable fort, rebuilt into a Renaissance chateau. After the fire in 1719 rebuilt in the Baroque style; Classicist adjustments. In 1945 burnt down, gradually reconstructed. Chateau interiors with expositions of the collections of the Moravian Gallery in Brno, a picture gallery – paintings from the Dietrichstein family collection, a chateau library, the history of Mikulov, a museum of viticulture and wine-growing, a chateau cellar with installations of wine barrels and presses. A giant wine barrel from the year 1643 with the content of 1010 hectolitres. A Jewish synagogue. An alchemistic workshop in the tower.